Black beans have always been a staple of Caribbean cuisine, and rightfully so! Not only do these quick-braised beans pack in protein, minerals, and fiber, they’re also tantalizingly tasty—especially when paired with our Barramundi with Mango Sriracha Chutney and this Coconut Cauliflower Rice.
To fill your plate with a delicious side (and your kitchen with a mouthwatering aroma), cook the beans up with garlic and onion, plenty of spices, and coconut milk and pineapple juice for a touch of tropical sweetness!
- 2 15.5 ounce cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- sea salt and black pepper
- Warm the coconut oil in a small pot over medium heat, and add the onions and garlic. Sauté for 3-4 minutes (or until they begin to soften). Add the remaining dry ingredients and a pinch of salt, and then sauté for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, pineapple juice, and black beans and stir to mix together. Cook on low for 15-20 minutes, adding more liquid as needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.